Tuesday 13 October 2009

Building a head



The video above shows a draft model of my head.

The skull was created by placing a sphere behind the mask and scaling it to fit the edges. I then made it an editable poly and removed one half as Symmetry would be applied later on. I then removed bottom half of the sphere. By holding shift and dragging the bottom edges, I could extend them to build the back of the head. Cutting the faces was helpful when new smaller faces were required. To join this to the face mask, I used the Attach tool which then allowed me to weld the new vertices to those of the mask. The result was this:



The next step was to make the back of the head more human instead of a flat drop. This was achieved by cutting the large faces into smaller segments which were shaped to create a natural shape:



However, the front of the neck was more troublesome. I created a cylinder primitive and scaled it to fit the head then removed three quarters of it:



I then Attached the cylinder to the rest of the head, as can be seen here there is serious clipping as none of the cylinder's vertices are welded to the head:



The next step was to Weld the vertices of the cylinder to that of the face mask and the back of the neck. This was a time consuming job as the cylinder's faces had to be cut and new faces created to suit the shape of the mask.



I then applied Symmetry and sculpted the sides of the neck to provide a less circular shape. Finally, NURBS smoothing was added to produce this result as seen in the video:



There is still pinching which needs fixing and the nose still needs tweaking. I have built ears, which will be applied. Also, the UVW Map for the entire head needs to be created.

1 comment:

  1. good...I think the back of the head could be more "rounded"

    ReplyDelete