Friday 2 October 2009

Start of 3DS Max work

After opening 3DS Max, the first step was to create a plane on which to put the reference image. The image was applied as a self-illuminated Diffuse Map and a UVW Map modifier was applied to the plane to aid in lining the texture up.

The texture was resized using a Bitmap Fit then the front view of my face was moved into place on the plane using the Gizmo tool. I then cloned the plane and rotated it 90 degrees to provide the side reference plate. Using Gizmo again, the side of my face was moved into view on the plane.



Once this part was complete, the next step was to draw the quads in 3DS using the Line tool. Using the Snap to Vertex option, it was easy yet time consuming to create the quads in 3D. The first time I attempted this, I did not use the Snap tool and ended up with massive gaps in the mesh. Below is the final image using Snap.



Although I tried to avoid creating triangles, this was unavoidable in a few minor places to avoid gaps in the mesh between quads. How visible this is will be something I will find out when extruding the shapes.



To create the initial flat mesh, a quad was selected and converted to an editable poly. This was then attached to the other quads to create the image here.

No comments:

Post a Comment