Sunday 18 October 2009

Making an Ear

To create the ear, I initially tried building it piece-by-piece. Once I had done the outside of the ear, I realised that it was full of triangles and was not giving good results:



Going back to the drawing board, I used the same technique as creating the face mask. With a reference image in the background, I drew topology splines in Max then moved the vertices to match the topology of the ear:



The geometry is quite simple, but it follows the basic structure- the ear has a raised area around the edge, dips inwards then goes in again towards the centre. I then created a Planar UVW Map using the UVW Unwrap modifier:



I then applied a photo of my ear to the map, which matches the geometry closely:



This gave me a textured model of my ear which I could export as a 3DS ready to be attached to the face:

No comments:

Post a Comment